Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Apple or The Hero- (scene iv)

Fuck the world for being so insensitive.

When bone-thin-man asked me if I could help him out with a bit of food, I sized up his sunken starving eyes and asked, "How he was doing?"

He replied, “Oh I had food. Bought some with the money I made today, but then someone stole my bag with all the food in it.”


Some people have no class...The phrase of a humble toothless man rings in my ears.

I ponder the emptiness of my pockets and of my warm bed. That’s what credit cards are for, confronting inequity in those priceless moments. I wander inside a 7/11 corner store, reflecting on the contents my stomach, as I contemplate the nutritional needs of a man with few means. He told me he’d been eating peanut butter and lemonade. I return to him with a meager menu – “Apple? Lemonaid? Samosa or *Hero”? I ask.

“Oh you keep the Hero doll, I can’t digest cheese.” He replies. “Its hard you know, I can’t swallow a lot of the things people try to feed me.”

I smile knowingly, “Oh I hear ya! Well, I hope you can enjoy the rest.”

“Oh I will, doll. God bless, you really made my day doll. Have a good night.”

“Peace.”

I walk away smiling about what fun **Lilith and Eve would have joking about the future together. If only they knew the bleak irreverence that would later reflect in the meanings of heroin and hero.

Though the roads ahead are long and arduous, what of living if not for those brief glimpses of divine beauty?

*Slang for a type of sandwhich
**In earlier versions of Genesis, Lilith was the first woman created. Her and Adam didn't get along so well, so God created Eve from one of Adam's ribs. Hypothetically: Eve and Lilith's children went on to spawn humanity. Where Lilith rebelled, Eve saught the tree of knowledge. Adam just complained alot. Sounds like the beginnings of a dysfunctional family if you ask me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment