Thursday, June 28, 2007

Chain-link Fences- (scene vi)

In a drowsy state of mind I wrote a test entitled: What kind of fence surrounds your heart? I don’t know what I was thinking...it sounded interesting to this writer’s broken heart.

Cynicism seems to be clogging the arteries to my aorta lately and the only remedy is foolish self-indulgent wanderings. Which includes silly tests and smoking cigars on beaches at sunset.

According to the author of this particular test, my heart is surrounded by a chain link fence. Not entirely impenetrable, but a formidable barrier for the faint or not so daring of heart. As they say, if anyone wants to "steal my heart" they’ll have to be of the "particularly rebellious" sort, who’d make the effort to climb over.

Walking in the direction of sunsets and beaches, I was shaken briefly from my daydreams when I noticed a red duct tape sign hanging from a very real chain-link fence that read:

THE THINGS THAT MATTER MOST SHOULD NEVER CHANGE.

I stopped midstep, blinked and read the sign again. Squinted at it even. Blinking several more times, as if it was a figment of my imagination – one of those oasis moments.

I walked away flustered; feeling the seams of my somewhat tattered heart mend...it wasn't really broken after all; just needed some duct tape and a soul patch.

Indeed keeping everything in perspective and being true to all that we are, is a challenge at the best of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment